Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"I thank my God upon every remembrance of you...Phil. 1:3"

Okay, so this is a more serious post. No, pics, just words...

As many of you know, our family is starting a new chapter in our lives. We are beginning a new work with the East Wood Church of Christ. Thankfully, we don't have to move towns, and we can still keep the life we have made here. Last Sunday we said our good-byes to the Whitlock congregation, with whom we have been working with the past 7 years! Therefore, I've decided to take this time in my life to reflect on the last seven years...

In June of 2002 Chris and I were married! We began a new life together, and started working with the Whitlock congregation. Chris is an amazing man, and since 2002 there has been much growth in both of us. We've learned what the meaning of marriage means. So many view marriage as just something you do...if it lasts, great, if not, oh well! I'm thankful for my husband and the commitment we made to God and eachother on our wedding day! Our marriage is not perfect by any means, but we do strive everyday to put God first in our relationship and that has proven to draw us closer to eachother and God.

August of 2003 I began my career as a 5th grade teacher. I made friends that will last me a lifetime. I've touched the lives of children, and they have forever touched mine. I no longer am in the classroom, but not a day goes by that I don't think about my time there and the many life lessons I learned. Yes, there are days I miss it, but then I look into Jack's eyes as he so excitedly tries to tell me something, and I can't help but know that my choice to be home with him over rules any desire to be back in the classroom. Jack is now my student in life, and I couldn't ask for a more wonderful opportunity to "teach."

In December of 2006 the greatest blessing of all time was placed into our hands, Jack! Wow, I'll never forget the first time I layed eyes on him...he was truly the most beautiful creation I had ever seen. There are moments still I think, "He is really my baby!" Now, for those of you that know Jack personally, you know he has a very "strong" personality. There are days when all I know to do is just pray and ask God for the strength and knowledge to guide my child through life. If I can raise him to be a God fearing man, that loves and is committed to the Lord, then I will have done my job. It is a very scary feeling for me to be in charge of such a sweet precious soul in guiding him towards heaven...it can't be done alone, I NEED God's help.

Here we are now, January 2009 and we are beginning a new chapter to our lives. As I was saying my goodbyes to those we have come to love as family, I couldn't help but be overwhelmed with emotions! These were the people that were there as Chris and I began our life together as a married couple. They watched as I graduated college and got a teaching job. They witnessed my belly grow week by week in anticipation of the arrival of Jack. They were there when Jack was born and just recently celebrated his 2nd birthday with him. I can't help but think about the fact that they watched me go from a young woman to now a mother. There are people at Whitlock that I will carry in my heart for as long as I live. There were several people thanking us for our work and influence over the last seven years, but I should be thanking them. They helped me grow as a person in so many ways, and they were forgiving as I made mistakes along the way.

For the last several months we have been praying and searching for a place to go. Financially were just couldn't remain at Whitlock. They payed us all the could (probably more), and Chris was working secularly. It was beginning to take its toll on all of us. It was one of the most unsure periods of time in my life. I found myself withdrawing from everyone I loved as a defense mechanism. If I wasn't close to them then it wouldn't hurt to leave so badly! I'm not saying that was the right way to handle it, but that is what happened. However, the Lord answered many prayers offered by many dear friends and we were able to find a GREAT work right here in Paris! We were blessed with the best of both worlds. We financially will be able to live off of Chris' salary from the church, and we can keep the life we have already made here. We have fallen in love with this town and the people that live in it! The people at East Wood have been nothing but gracious and very encouraging. They have expressed such excitement that I can only pray we live up to their expectations :)

If you made it through this, you may understand a little more why I haven't quite been myself lately, or you could be thinking...wow she is very emotional. Both assumptions would be correct. I am thankful for the past and looking forward to the future. It isn't everyday that you can leave a congregation with no regrets, and we celebrate the fact that we can think positively on the last seven years. God is looking out for our family, and I am constently reminded of his love for us! Please keep us in your prayers as we start this new chapter. Thank you to all our friends that were there for us in prayers, talk, or a shoulder to cry on. We love all of you!

"The fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much!"

3 comments:

Momma! said...

I am glad you guys are here to stay! We have missed your 'socializing'

Tabby said...

What a sweet post Amber! I had no idea all of that was going on...but I'm so glad that God answered your prayers! How wonderful that you don't even have to move! Isn't He awesome? Congratulations on Chris's new job. You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers as you start your new work!

Corey and Melody Cain said...

Praying for you guys as you are transitioning! Thanks for sharing your heart!